In the Background

March 31, 2013  •  Leave a Comment

As I'm editing through my Dracula photos, I'm finding that I need (okay, want) to do a lot of cleanup to remove "junk" in the backgrounds of the images - particularly those from tech rehearsal, when the sets weren't complete and there were assorted ladders and bins and things hanging out at the back of the stage.

The image above, for example, originally looked like this:

It's really tempting for me to just go into GIMP and completely remove the distracting background elements, like so:

But I find that this resulting image looks fake - it's obvious to me that I've cut the dancers out from their background.  
 
Instead, I like the results much better when I let some tiny elements of the original background peek through, as in the version at the beginning of this post.  For me, this approach helps hide the distracting original background, but still provides some context so that he dancers aren't left just floating in space.  If you're viewing these images on a computer that doesn't display contrast well in the shadows, you might not see much of a difference, but I promise it's there.
 
Just a few more of these edits to go before  I'll have the galleries ready to post!

Comments

No comments posted.
Loading...
Subscribe
RSS
Archive
January (2) February March (2) April May June July August September October (1) November December
January February March April May June July August September October November December
January February March April May June July August September October November December
January February March April May June July August September October November December
January February March April May June July August September October November December